Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Guerrilla Gardening

After a visit to LA with some good friends to MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art), a friend had shown me a seed bomb that he had bought earlier. Prior to this, I had never heard of such a thing. Later I found out that seed bombing is part of a form of guerrilla gardening, where people plant seeds, flowers, grass, and shrubs usually on privately or government owned land.

Normally, the plot of land is not only empty and baren, but seemingly abandoned and in sight of the public. Guerrilla gardeners, ranging from enthusiastic to political gardeners, aim to beautify the area in which they live and to make a statement. It's a form of non-violent rebellion against the restrictions that law has placed for us.

As a person who has always been interested in plants, I find the idea of guerrilla gardening to be an interesting one. I looked online for more information and found this great blog on guerrilla gardeners and their gardening feats. Troop Digs shows gardeners spanning the globe, all with the same intend to add green and life to their city.

As soon as I can, I'll be making some seed bombs of my own, with native flowers, to toss around.

No comments:

Post a Comment